Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Standing Firm

So the Miss USA/Miss Universe pageant's winner is North Carolina's Kristin Dalton. Apparently California's Carrie Prejean lost the crown because she stayed true to her beliefs.

Miss California Carrie Prejean is disappointed she didn't win the Miss USA pageant after her answer to question on gay marriage from blogger Perez Hilton sparked controversy, but says she's proud she stayed true to her beliefs and wouldn't change the response – even though she believes it cost her the crown.

Prejean, who was first runner up, appeared Tuesday morning on NBC's "Today" show and when host Matt Lauer asked if she'd alter her answer if given a "do-over," she said no.

"I did not want to offend anybody, but I think with that question specifically, it's not about being politically correct, for me it was being biblically correct," she told Lauer.

During Sunday night's competition, Hilton asked Prejean if she felt all states should move toward allowing same-sex marriage - to mirror the efforts of states like Vermont and California.

She said, "I think it's great that Americans are able to choose one or the other ... same sex marriage or opposite marriage," then added, "I believe that marriage should be between a man and a woman ... that's how I was raised."

Hilton later ranted about Prejean on his celebrity blog and called her some nasty names.

Hilton went on CNN's Larry King Live Monday night while Prejean spoke about the incident the same night to Fox News - fielding questions on whether she thought her answer cost her the crown.

"Out of all the topics I studied up on, I dreaded that one. I prayed I would not be asked about gay marriage. If I had any other question, I know I would have won," she said in the Fox News interview.

Hilton told King he hadn't bashed Prejean for her beliefs, but felt a candidate for Miss USA should offer more inclusive answers.

Hilton has extended Prejean an invitation to discuss the matter over coffee, but she has not accepted.

Prejean appeared at peace with the outcome Monday in her chat with Lauer - again referencing her faith and saying she was proud of herself for advancing so far in the competition.

And as for her close brush with taking the crown?

"It wasn't what God wanted for my life that night," she told Lauer.

I guess it's pretty easy to compromise. Sometimes it's just so much easier to give in to someone or something than to stand for what is right. Especially when nobody agrees with you and you get slammed for 'not being open-minded' or being 'old-fashioned'.

So what Carrie Prejean did, That's just pure standing firm in what she knows is right, despite having to risk (and lose) the coveted Miss Universe title. I love her for it!

2 comments:

Dan's TV Show said...

I'm glad that she stood for what she believes in...

Great Testimony.

Mishka said...

:) defnitely encouraging... sometimes what we stand for will cost something dear to us, what we have or what we want but for me its worth it la... like Daniel said, Great testimony